Comprehensive preparation for primary care practice in a convenient format
Build on your experience as an RN and become a Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP). Our online 20-month full-time and hybrid eight-semester part-time Master of Science in Nursing Family Nurse Practitioner program teaches you the clinical skills and knowledge you need to:
- Perform patient examinations
- Order and interpret diagnostic tests
- Develop treatment plans, prescribe medications and make referrals
- Provide advice for healthy living and self-management of conditions
- Act as a leader on health care teams and as an advocate for patients
Choose between an online or hybrid format. Our MSN FNP prepares you for advanced practice and national licensure, while respecting your busy schedule.
What you will learn
Brenau’s MSN FNP includes 49 credits of master’s-level coursework covering three areas:
- Advanced foundations: Extend your knowledge of pathophysiology, pharmacology, health assessment and diagnostic reasoning beyond the BSN level.
- Population-specific health care: As an FNP, you will care for patients across the lifespan, so our program covers health care needs for women, children, adults and seniors.
- Research, leadership and practicums: Learn advanced skills for conducting and evaluating research and leading in health care organizations. You’ll also participate in clinical practicums.
MSN core courses
- MS 500 – Statistics for Teachers or NG 731 – Advanced Nursing Research
- NG 701 – Theoretical Foundations
- NG 707 – Advanced Health Assessment and Diagnostic Reasoning
- HS 771 – Advanced Pathophysiology
- NG 711 – Advanced Clinical Pharmacology
- NG 760 – Principles and Practice of Nursing Leadership and Management I
FNP specialization courses
- NG 734 – Research Utilization Project
- NG 739 – Professional Seminar
- NG 740 – Clinical Practicum I
- NG 742 – Population Health for Advanced Practice Nursing
- NG 743 – Clinical Practicum – Skills & Advanced Role I
- NG 744 – Health Care of the Adult
- NG 745 – Health Care of the Older Adult
- NG 746 – Clinical Practicum of the Adult
- NG 747 – Health Care of Women
- NG 748 – Health Care of Children
- NG 749 – Clinical Practicum in Women and Children
- NG 780 – Clinical Practicum
For more information, including course descriptions and course progression, please see our Courses page.
Brenau is honored to be awarded the Global Nursing Excellence award for the 12th straight year in a row by the National Nurses Honor Society (Phi Kappa Phi).
How to apply
Qualified candidates for this program must hold a current RN license and have completed a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree. For complete details, please see our Admissions page.